Monday, July 7, 2008

Favourite Corner #6

For the past three years, this has been one of my all time favourite places outside of my home. We moved here from Calgary and I never felt like Medicine Hat was truly a home until the day I walked in these doors & they started pouring me a cup of my favourite brew before I'd even said hello. That day, I felt like I'd arrived.

Since then, I've spent many mornings sitting at the counter rehashing weekend activities, families, and just about everything else with the girls here. I consider the owner a personal friend and her smiling face welcomes me whenever I come home from being away.

Of course, the coffee has ruined me for any other kind, even Canada's famous Tim Horton's blend. Kat roasts her own beans and I can smell the roasting from my house some days. I crave her coffee when I'm away, so much so that I've had to invest in a bag of ground coffee to take camping. That and my French press, of course. C'est magnifique!

Today is the last day to submit a comment to qualify for one of my dish towels. Here a close up of the detail on my favourite towel. I've been embroidering like mad these days. I find it very relaxing. One evening I was feeling especially anxious about something or other, and I pulled out my stitching. Within minutes I felt myself calm down. Better than Valium or Ativan I say. Not that I've ever needed to take either of those. No sir.

And here's the busy little bee. I wish bees (& wasps) were as cute in real life. And I've always wanted to see a little day with a smiley face.

To sweeten the pot a little, I will include a small sample of the beans from my favourite cafe with each tea towel, or for non-coffee drinkers, some tea. Tra-la-la...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish bee's and wasp's had smiley faces in real life too. Nice stiching!

Jan said...

I rarely embroider, any more. Your work is great. I agree, this is a much better way to unwind, much better than RX. If I'm selected for your drawing, tea please. After all, my book blog is Loves Books and Tea.

Tara said...

Hi OR

what a great place to hang out--very cosmopolitan! I used to love to embroider, found it very relaxing..where is my stuff? Now that I ahve a little time this summer, I need to go look!

Redblur63 said...

What happy bees! I would take that bee towel out to my victory garden to visit my squash and pumpkin plants!

MJ said...

I visited a coffeehouse near my sister's in Calgary and wondered how it could stay afloat with the Second Cup across the street. After a visit to the coffeehouse, I understand why: the baking was scrumptious and the warmth of the coffeehouse exuded! Second Cup wasn't competition!

Thanks for sharing your coffeehouse story!

smalltownme said...

I found you from Bunny's blog. Your bee is adorable. (I collect bee things.)