Monday, November 17, 2008

Words & coffee

I woke up this morning feeling anxious. I can't explain exactly why, but there they were. Those little butterflies in my stomach. I decided the only solution would be to head down to my favourite little coffee shop for some chit-chat with my favourite girls, some java, and maybe spend some quality time with a good book.

There's nothing a good book and coffee can't make better, or so I've found. It certainly worked today.

I discovered a delightful new author this summer, Sarah Addison Allen. She reminds me of Joanne Harris, the author of Chocolat and The Lollipop Shoes.

Garden Spells is her first book and all I can tell you is that this book is magical. I felt all tingly inside when I read it. Good things happen to people who deserve them. I love books like this.

Her second book is The Sugar Queen. I happened upon it at the library last week when I was wandering around there looking for a good read to get me through a night shift. Same thing. I was smiling when I put the book down this morning.

Neither book is difficulty to read. Just right for someone who's usually got her nose stuck in a textbook. Normally, I'd probably devour it in one sitting, but I tried to pace myself. My favourite thing about these books are that they are set in the South. I can just hear the characters talking in wonderfully buttery accents.

She has a new book coming out sometime in 2009 which I am looking forward too. She has a cute website too. You candy-lovers will like it, I'm sure.
_____________________________________

On a completely different note, but equally delightful to me, I only have ONE week left of school. I miscounted the days and I realized I'll be done next Tuesday morning, not Thursday as I originally expected. I am excited, but also a bit bewildered. What will happen when I'm done? I don't even know how to feel about this. I've defined myself as a student for so very long, that I'm worried a bit of my identity will slip away. Plus, how will I ever get through life without getting marked on everything. I've become a bit of an evaluation whore you see. Can I get an "A" in laundry and dinner making?

7 comments:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

You also get an A for posting daily. :)

M. said...

I'm going to need to check out those books! i definitely need something new to read!

3rdEyeMuse said...

thanks for the book recommendations - I have been looking for something new.

only a week - wow - that's soon! you can grade yourself, but it just isn't the same, is it ... no worries, you'll settle into the new identity before you know it. :) besides, you can always consider yourself a life long student.

Shana said...

I'm so excited for you with school coming to an end! The next chapter begins!!

Jan said...

I loved those books, too. Woo Hoo, for being done with school. You'll figure out what's next, I have faith.

calicodaisy said...

It's so exciting that you will be finished with your studies. You will be able to define yourself by being a new professional and by the larger size of your paycheck now!

Saucy said...

I can hardly believe that you will be done, either. I had the same trepidation when I finished school myself but you will find lots to do to keep you busy! And then the job search, of course...