Wednesday, July 16, 2008

An assemblage of aprons

I had to turn to my thesaurus this morning to find a suitable word for collection starting with 'A'. Lookie what I got yesterday!

My mother brought me a bag of old aprons from my grandmother. I think most of them came from my great-grandmother and they are all handmade. What a treasure! These are a few of my favourites.

I really wish this was a skirt.

Tulips are my favourite flower and I love the ric-rac.

This embroidery is called 'chicken scratch' and I've wanted
to make an apron with this type of detail for a while. Now I have a pattern to follow.

Some yellow loveliness. So sunny.

This is not one of the aprons from the selection I received yesterday. This came from my Summer Sassy Swap partner, Amazing Mae, in June. She used fabric from my favourite designer, Amy Butler for this reversible beautify. She made the apron based on a vintage apron. Isn't it incredible?

The other side is this citrus print trimmed with a summery stripe. She also included this tea towel trimmed with jumbo ric rac and a matching pincushion which I absolutely love! Thank you Traci! You are amazing.

Any suggestions on how to display this collection?

14 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

I cant believe that first one isnt a skirt. It would be fabulous!!! These aprons are amazing!

Karen said...

Darn it, for some reason I do not see the picture of the first apron, and I want to, cause you say it's so cute. I would think that since it's practically a skirt already you could possibly add a bit of coordinating fabric and make it one. But I can't say for sure, since I can't friggin see it.
Anyway, do you have a kitchen window? I would say hang them from a rod instead of a curtain, it would be adorable.

Anonymous said...

That first apron is the bomb! It does not appear to be crabby either!

I think the curtain rod idea is lovely!

Karen said...

Okay, now I see it, now I see it! It is indeed adorable! And I bet you could add to it and totally make it a skirt!



exclamation point count: 3

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

They are lovely, every one of them.

I'm not sure how best to display them. I'll have to get back to you if I think of something (read: google it).

Saucy said...

You lucky gal! These are great... I have the exact gingham "chicken scratch" apron, the pattern must have made the rounds!

stephanie said...

Gorgeous & fun, lucky.

Putting them on a curtain rod is a cute idea. I was thinking of stringing twine or cable (IKEA has a little kit) across a window & hanging them, to make it look like a whimsical clothesline.

Or you could pose mannequins around your house...

Jan said...

Love the aprons. You've won a book from me, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. Email me your shipping information and I'll get it out to you. Email: rjprytz at hotmail dot com.

Anonymous said...

I, too, was going to say curtain rod.
They are quite lovely aprons, and I envy you!

Unknown said...

I like the clothesline idea! They are darling aprons...lucky you!

annie

3rdEyeMuse said...

such an AWESOME assemblage of aprons!

I like the idea of the rod, but am concerned that having them in the window and exposed to the sun could fade their brilliant colors ... I'm sort of picturing a type of wall hanging - maybe a two thick ribbons hung from near the ceiling down and spaced far enough apartt that the aprons can be pinned in a long row (down) ... hmmm ...

however you do it, I'm sure it'll be a sight!

MJ said...

for some reason, my earlier comment didn't post! Here's a synopsis: in my view, the best way to display those great aprons are to wear them! Whatever you decide to do, enjoy them!!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

You've received a WONDERFUL gift from your Grandmothers. Keep them in the family and pass them on down to Lizzie.

How about displaying them on a horizontal hat rack by tying each one to one of the pegs/hooks?

Just a thought!

bunzi said...

those are sooo nice!!! they are all so very pretty!