Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sewing Machine Cover

In the end, I only completed one project this past week, it was a good one. Last year, I decided to retired my somewhat unreliable Sears Kenmore circa 1968ish sewing machine that I got for free and bought myself a nice little Janome number. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles but it's definitely an upgrade...it even does buttons & button holes. 

I was inspired by this photo from The Crafter's Companion.


I know it doesn't look quite as nice, but it was my first try.

I found some dishtowel material at the local fabric store and did the embroidery ages ago. It's been hanging over the back of the chair waiting to be sewn together for a few months.


I used an vintage pillowcase to line the cover and some cute bumblebee ribbon for the closure.

Here's my lovely little machine in its natural habitat. 

Only three more days left until school is officially over and I can't wait. My last assignment is due on Friday, but its a team project so hopefully my work is mostly done. 

I had a brief reprieve this past weekend. I went to a movie with Javier & Lizzie. Helped Javier assemble Lizzie's new basketball hoop. I say this very lightly, as I really just sat by and watched and read until he asked for my help. I helped Lizzie put together a jigsaw puzzle. I knit a little, read a little, and transfered some embroidery patterns. I was like a little bumblebee myself, buzzing all over the place. I just couldn't decide what to do. Definitely not the worst problem I've ever had!

7 comments:

Cottage Contessa said...

Oooohhhh I love your new sewing machine cover, very pretty! Oh how I wish I could sew! To learn is on my list though.......along with many other things! lol
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Rubyellen said...

that is very pretty! i want to make one of those!

calicodaisy said...

That is very cute! I need to make one for mine.

Tara said...

So glad school is almost over for you what a relief that must be! The machine cover is adorable! You have been busy!

:0)
Tara

Unknown said...

The sewing machine cover is cute! Yes I am alive and well. My little break from blogging is really carrying into a long break! I have been busy on some other projects but should be back soon!

Annie

Liz Harrell said...

That is adorable!

MJ said...

My students are tired of school and so am I. One asked if there was a class on Thursday and I had to confirm class on Thursday. Poor students had no reprieve from me ~ I didn't take a day off sick this term!

Congrats on your sewing machine upgrade! Am looking forward to seeing more of your projects!