Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thrifty Thursday

My lecture ended early today. I should have gone home to get caught up on some housework and/or schoolwork. Instead, I chose to do a tour of the local thrift stores. Thrifting around here is a pretty sad affair. Anything worth collecting is usually snapped up by the antique shops and resold at exhorbitant prices. Once in a while, I find something fun. I love old craft books and can usually find some fun ones. These books came home with me today. Mainly knitting and crocheting. The green book in the middle is circa late 1940s and I love it. It's filled with some beautiful old classic patterns and some fun ones, like bed socks and convalescent jackets. 


This was my favourite find of the day. I couldn't find a date anywhere, but I'm thinking it's from sometime in the mid-80s. I felt compelled to bring it home with me, if only to be able to share these great photos.

I love these leg warmers. I remember being about 9 or 10 years old and feeling quite desperate for a pair of my own leg warmers. I planned to wear them with sweat pants.

How about this handsome gentleman? I especially love the gold chain and bare chest.

Bat wing sweaters. Doesn't she look elegant? I'm not sure why, but it reminds me of the movie "Working Girl". I'm sure if it was 1985, I'd have my mother knit me this sweater. I'm pretty sure I've seen similar looks in Elle Canada this past season.

It was a fun few hours. But now it's back to work!

1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

This must have been published during my high school years...I had those knitted leg warmers, and did I mention I was very popular. Not.