Monday, May 12, 2014

The great transplant experiment of 2014

Oh my daylilies.


These are not my daylilies pictured above. I didn't feel like tracking down at old photo.

After many years of hating my frontyard daylilies, I finally did something about it

Something crazy. 

I moved them to the backyard.

Wild, right?

After changing our fence and losing some trees last year, we were left either a vast concrete wasteland.


Not pretty.

My 20' by 5' planter lay empty and sad, little more than a playground (& potty) for Toshi. My brilliant coworker suggested transplanting my daylilies to the back. If they didn't survive, no bug deal, at least I have space for new plants out front. And if they do survive, it's a cheap and cheerful way to add colour to the space.


It took two days of hard work, digging and pulling and moving plants around, but I did it. Impressed? Thus formally black-thumbed girl sure is.


For two weeks now, I waited anxiously for signs of growth. The internet assured me that daylilies were pretty much indestructible. Despite the unseasonably cool weather we've been having.

And they grew. I'm pretty proud...


No comments: