Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Teams & child's play

Many years from now, when I'm reflecting back on my nursing school years, I won't remember the text books or the exams or the hardwork. No, I'm sure that all I'll remember is the forced team work and the arts & crafts. Every semester, without fail, we are encouraged to work in groups, in pairs, to complete assignments. Out of 45 students, only 2 are men, so you can imagine that we spend a lot of time discussing things, and discussing them, and discussing them.

It really is like a game of tug of war sometimes. And once in a while I just want to let go. Of course, I never do. I'm far to much of a control freak to let go.

I think they make us work in groups so we can learn team work. Guess what? I already know how to work as a team, and I don't want to do it anymore!

I've always considered myself a team player, but maybe I've been wrong all this time. I know I'm stubborn, but I guess I know how I want things done, and I'm tired of arguing for it. I realized today that all this complaining about team work possibly has more to do with me than with the other people in my group. Maybe I don't work so well with others after all. Oops.

No that's not true. I do work well with others. I'm just plain tired of all the school related work.

Photo source: www.buddhacab.com; www.old-photos.blogspot.com; www.punkintheclown.com; ww.megacoolstuff.com

5 comments:

Shana said...

I only work well on a team if I am the leader, with unquestionable authority, and no one challenges that. Otherwise, team work? I'm screwed.

Keetha said...

I'm visiting from NaBloPoMo --

When I was in college, we had all kinds of group projects to prepare us for the "real world," so the professors claimed. Not hardly. I don't like the group projects. I'd always just rather do it myself!

Jillian said...

Working in groups like that can be frustrating! Just be proud of yourself for all you have accomplished so far..and how close you are to the finish line!

Jillian

3rdEyeMuse said...

I love that tug-o-war photo ... reminds me of my very favorite Shel Silverstein poem ...

Hug O'War

I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.

sometimes being a team player is offering to go for a coffee run. :)

MJ said...

A view from the other side of the classroom: we are encouraged to explore different teaching methods. A predominant one is that students learn better from each other than from a lecture. I was almost persuaded to try this method this year but ran the idea past a couple of my regular-attending students who discouraged the group method, especially if no marks were assigned.

I remember the good ole days when profs lectured in monotone voices and didn't care less what we thought and, worse would ridicule us; I got handwriting cramps and/or learned to sleep with my hand shielding my eyes. I remember the good ole days when I was expected to read outrageous amounts of boring and up to centuries old materials.

My, how things have changed!